Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My First Run Back...

You must forgive my delay in posting. It is the Olympic Games, and I am things are a bit crazy here at work (happens at Games time when you work for the Canadian Olympic Committee).


I had my first dry land run a couple of weeks ago...300m with a torch in my hand. When we selected a surgery date, it was with the hope that I would be mobile for the Games and also for my torchbearer position on February 11th. I honestly didn't think that I would be able to run with the torch. I figured that the best I could hope for was a fast walk. But the roar of the crowds and the hype made me chuck out those plans and suck it up.
The crowds were amazing and as luck would have it I was running within two miles of my house. It was great to have my family and friends out to see me run. Afterwards, I was essentially mobbed by those wanting autographs and photos and a chance to hold the torch.
I must say that it was a very moving experience. To hold up the flame that started in Olympia and was racing to the opening ceremony was a thrill I will never forget. There is something magical about the Olympic flame. It touches people. For most, it is the closest that they will get to the Olympic Games and so to touch or hold the torch is an incredible experience. You witness how it transforms ordinary people into community celebrities. It is awe inspiring.
Despite having been to Olympia and having developed school curriculum for the Olympic Torch Relay, I think that the whole significance of the relay had not really sunk in. But seeing how the flame unified people from coast to coast to coast was a bit of an epiphany.
It took me a few days of pain until my foot felt right. Think I'll keep my running to the pool for a few more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment