Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Joy of Pool Running



I won't lie...I honestly believe that if someone where to write a book entitled "The Joy of Pool Running" it would be short and would quickly go out of print...very unlike "The Joy of Sex" which is volumous and available at most bookstores years after publication.


As I recover from my surgery, I am in the pool and beginning to log longer pool runs. It did feel pretty good to complete a couple of hour runs with some gentle quality thrown in, but that was not because I enjoyed the activity. It was because I love the feeling of working hard. It felt good to feel physically tired. I have spent so many weeks with my foot elevated and my bum on a couch, that it feels great to be active.




Trying to be positive, here are my "Top 10 Best Things About Pool Running".




10) I am never chased by dogs


9) No black bear encounters (I live in Coquitlam where bears are a nuissance)


8) The pool isn't 2C and it never rains inside


7) My running shoes last forever


6) I develop my "sharing" skills when the pool is crowded


5) Develops agility dodging people diving off the boards


4) No angry drivers


3) The strange kinship you develop with little old ladies in bathing caps doing water aerobics


2) A steady diet of 70s music


1) It's not for good...real running is only a couple of months away





I guess that I am glad I can run in the pool. It is better than nothing. Nevertheless, it does feel a bit like...


1 comment:

  1. Hi Bruce, glad to see that you're back at it... even if "it" is in the pool. Best of luck with a quick return.

    ReplyDelete